Sunday, July 7, 2013

Army Afghan Chart


THIS PATTERN IS NOW DOWNLOADABLE ON MY NEW FACEBOOK GROUP PAGE.  YOU CAN FIND IT HERE.  JUST GO TO THE FILES TAB TO DOWNLOAD.

Here is my latest afghan chart. I have had several requests for an Army afghan chart.  I thought about using the Army logo with the star, but there are already existing charts, you can find them on Ravelry.com here and here. I altered the insignia somewhat to make it easier to crochet. 

Each square on the pattern counts as a single crochet.  It has 137 stitches across and 144 rows. The gauge of the pattern totally depends on the size yarn and hook you use.  I measured my gauge for worsted weight yarn and an I hook at 4 sts and 4 rows = 1".  With this gauge the afghan would measure 34 1/4" x 36" .  If you want to make it wider or longer, I'd add white stitches on either side of the pattern for width or more rows to the top and bottom of the pattern to make it longer, you could also make a border in a contrasting color.  I don't knit, but I think you could use this for a knitted afghan as well.

If you are really talented (and somewhat ambidextrous) you can switch the hook to your left hand when you get to the end of the row and then crochet back the way you came like Carol Ventura does.  I think this tutorial by Interweave is a little easier if you want to keep all of the design facing the same direction. This  video tutorial by Red Heart Yarn has you turn the afghan as you crochet, it's easier but the design is not as true.

If you are new to crochet charts check out my Globe Pillow Crochet Along, it has a tutorial on how to read a chart.  If you would rather cross stitch the details of the chart, I would crochet the major areas and then you can have a look at my Day of the Dead Banner (also below) pattern for a tutorial on how to cross stitch on single crochet for the finer details. 

For other tips on following a crochet chart check out my Harley Davidson Afghan post.

I realize there's no way you could crochet this afghan from this tiny picture, so if you want the chart email me at crochetparfaitpg@yahoo.com.  Let me know what format you want it in.  (Excel--editable .xlsx, Adobe .pdf or picture .png,  I recommend the .xlsx or .png files because the pdf splits it up into several pages.)

If anyone wants to make this afghan or anything "Army" for sale please be sure to check this website for licensing of the image.  Thanks.

Happy Hooking!

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
USMC Afghan Chart

Navy Afghan Chart

Harley Afghan Chart

Globe Pillow/Ball Chart

5 comments:

  1. Would love this in pdf please if you could send it to tammye42@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love in pdf if possible.
    ceecee1371@gmail.com
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to have this pattern in pdf. I don't really know how to read patterns but I'm trying to learn. My husband is deploying soon and I'd love to make this for him, my special veteran (I'm one also. Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have this pattern in pdf. I just completed the Marine afghan. It was my first chart afghan to do. It turned out GREAT. Thank You for sharing your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need your email address, or you can join my Crochet group to download it, the link is at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete