Saturday, September 1, 2012

Skull iPad Case


Materials
  • Black Worsted Weight yarn
  • Off White Worsted Weight yarn
  • G 4.5 mm Hook
Gauge:  3 rows = 1 1/4", 4 scs = 1"

Case Dimensions 7 1/2" W x 9" H x 3/4" D


Skull

This pattern uses a grid to tell you where the stitches go.  Each square is one single crochet stitch.  So from the numbers on the grid you can tell that there are 28 scs across and 34 rows.

Row 1:  With Black Yarn ch 29, sl st into the second ch from the hook, sc in each ch across to the end.  (28 sts)


Now you follow the chart. There will always be 28 scs per row, the chart shows you where you change color.  Always ch 1 and turn before starting the next row.  Rows 2 and 3 are also black rows.

Row 4:  Count the number of blocks in this row that are black, that's how many scs you will make before changing color.  For Row 4 you make 9 full scs, but on the 10th sc, don't finish it.  Instead, start the st by inserting the hook and pulling up a loop, then add the Off White yarn and pull it through the two loops on the hook.


Then check the chart and you will see that you need to make 9 scs in Off White, carry the black yarn along behind the white yarn every 5 sts.




Remember not to finish the 9th st, because you will be changing back to the white yarn.




Continue following the chart for Rows 5 to 34.  The back of the skull should look something like this.


And the front should look like this


Flap


Row 35:  Once your have completed the 34th row, ch 1 and turn and sc in the BLO of each sc across. (28 scs)

Row 36:  Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across (in both loops). (28 scs)

Row 37:  Repeat row 35. (28 scs)

The two BLO rows make it so the flap folds over.


Rows 38 to 43:  Repeat row 36, Fasten off leaving a long tail.

Back

Row 1:  Ch 29, sc in second ch from hook, and in each ch across. (28 scs)

Row 2 to 34:  Ch 1, sc in first sc and in each sc across, on the last row Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing on the sides, probably about 26 inches.

Sides

Ch 100, sc in second ch from hook and in each ch to end, 99 scs.  Fasten off also leaving a long tail for sewing, about 26 inches.

Finishing

Sew the side piece to the back of the case on three sides.  Then sew the sides to the front of the case.  You can add snaps to the flap to close the case, or leave it loose.

If your tablet isn't an iPad you can adjust the measurements by adding rows to the sides or to the front and back or by adding on to the number of sts on the front, back and sides.  I would suggest adding sts on the edges of the front to keep the integrity of the design.  You can however change the design and make it your own. Here are some changes I made to my original chart to make a Day of the Dead skull.







I'd love to see your finished work!

Abbreviations
sc(s)--single crochet(s) ch(s)--chain(s)
BLO--back loop only  st(s)--stitch(es)

You May Also Like:
Day of the Dead Banner
Henna-Tattoo Inspired Wedding Glove
Heart Headband with Bow

18 comments:

  1. Love this. Thank you so much for posting. I have so many ideas for graphed patterns but never could find how to carry the yarn across the back for crochet. I think I am going to modify this into a laptop cozy. Again thank you and I can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. I'm a crochet teacher so part of my intention is to teach technique as well as write patterns. I'm glad I could help you out.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this tutorial on how to make the color change! would carrying every stitch make it look better if say you were making a graph blanket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The back will look better. I sometimes find when I carry every stitch that the color I'm not using shows through on the front. If you can carry every stitch and are satisfied with the result, then go for it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this tutorial!! I have often wanted to work with graphing things but have been unsure of how to do a graph. I'm not the greatest drawer so if I could take a picture and make it into a graph that would be best! Do you know of a website other than http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/? I'm not sure how to make those graphs smaller for ipad cozies or things like that!!

    jessiicali@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also Paint-by-Grids http://www.gridart.com/software/

      I use Excel, but then you have to draw.

      Delete
  4. Would it be possible to posted as a video pleasssssse
    Saydeh83@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see what I can do, I do not have a video camera. You can look at this video for help in the until I make one.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQJUfEL5PFA

      Delete
  5. Instead of doing a full back to this is there a way to make into a roll up pouch with 2 pockets for a nintendo ds with extra games this skull is right up my nephews alley an ive tried to find a case for them but they were to plain,girly, or way to difficult for me to make an this one is easy ive been doing the drop stitch for a yr now an love doing it i was think tho if i just crochet a pouch on each end instead of making a full back piece but i dont know if that will work can u help me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure, just crochet the skull part of the pattern then add the amount of black rows at the bottom that you need for one long piece. Then just make some black pieces for the pockets and sew them on where you need them. I usually start crocheting at the bottom of the chart, but you can start at the top and go towards the bottom also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you i thought it might just wasnt sure it would work since i cant buy xmas presents for those i want to buy for im making everyone a presents suited for their personality an hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did it my nephew is going to love it i had to be sneaky in order to make sure i got the right amount of rows for the pocket so i had to work at nite so i could use his ds to measure with lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see a picture. You can email it to me at crochetparfaitpg@yahoo.com. I post it on the blog.

      Delete
  9. Wow, cool DIY made from wool. Swing is a tough job to do. I brought an iphone 14 pro max wood case for my phone. Wood cases are durable, light in weight, and can be customized or engraved, also friendly to the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is super cool. I want to make one for my iPad Air.

    ReplyDelete